Sunday, November 13, 2011

Our union president has now decided to BREAK THE LAW!

The Labor Management Reporting and Disclosure Act (LMRDA)
TITLE I -- BILL OF RIGHTS OF MEMBERS OF LABOR ORGANIZATIONS
(29 U.S.C. 411)
(5) SAFEGUARDS AGAINST IMPROPER DISCIPLINARY ACTION.-- No member of any labor organization may be fined, suspended, expelled, or otherwise disciplined except for nonpayment of dues by such organization or by any officer thereof unless such member has been (A) served with written specific charges; (B) given a reasonable time to prepare his defense; (C) afforded a full and fair hearing.

Mr Hunt is in violation of the above federal statute.
I fully expect him to provide me as a dues paying member with a complete explanation as to why this section of the law has been ignored!

ATU 757 PRESIDENT JONATHAN HUNT THROWS CHRIS DAY OUT OF THE UNION MEETING

Jonathan Hunt booking photo

Has our union president finally completely lost his mind?
Has his ego grown so inflated that now he thinks he can decide which union members get to view the union meetings and which do not?
Our president thinks that Mr Day recorded last months meeting and has jeopardized the negotiations.

I can tell blog followers that the charges against Mr Day are completely false.
I have never witnessed a union meeting on any public site ever!
This is an outrage that we union members should not allow.
Chris  Day
CHRIS DAY WRITES:

On Sunday November 13th, 2011 at about 3:10pm I was attending my local union charter meeting. After I had signed in to the meeting, paid 25 cents for a raffle ticket, stood for a moment of silence for our lost Brothers and Sisters our local union President Jonathan Hunt called my name asking me to step in front of 40 – 60 members so that he could search me for recording devices. At that moment I felt that he had just singled me out and was attempting to publicly harass me in front of the membership. I felt this action he was requesting was in violation of my civil rights and uncalled for so I refused. President Jonathan Hunt then advised Sandra Guengerich (a female) that she is now the sergeant at arms and that she was to remove me from the room and search me. I left the room with Sandra with no incident. Outside of the room Sandra advised me that she did not feel comfortable with the instruction she had be requested to do and I advised her that I did not feel comfortable allowing a member of the opposite sex being instructed to search me in private.

I contacted a friend that is an attorney and was advised to allow the action to take place and seek legal advice upon the first opportunity. I returned to Sandra and approved of her to search me and President Hunt then stated that I was not permitted to return to the meeting and I will not be permitted to attend future meetings until he has had a meeting with me and my attorney. I left the building with no incident. Members at that meeting reported to me that statements had been made that I was singled out because Hunt caught me recording meetings and that I released information on the internet that jeopardized contract negotiations.



The Labor Management Reporting and Disclosure Act (LMRDA)

TITLE I -- BILL OF RIGHTS OF MEMBERS OF LABOR ORGANIZATIONS

(29 U.S.C. 411)

(5) SAFEGUARDS AGAINST IMPROPER DISCIPLINARY ACTION.-- No member of any labor organization may be fined, suspended, expelled, or otherwise disciplined except for nonpayment of dues by such organization or by any officer thereof unless such member has been (A) served with written specific charges; (B) given a reasonable time to prepare his defense; (C) afforded a full and fair hearing.



I have never received written specific charges, never given reasonable time to prepare a defense or afforded a full and fair hearing before this disciplinary action took place. President Jonathan Hunt took it upon himself to act as Judge, Jury and Disciplinarian. As I was leaving the building a member asked if this could be voted on and President Hunt did not allow any vote to take place.



In front of 40 – 60 members President Jonathan Hunt has:

· Singled one member out and asked that member to perform a task of being inspected in front of the membership. It is not known if this was intended to demonstrate his concern for the security of the membership or to use the individual as an example to the membership and publicly humiliate that member in front of the membership.

· Appointed a member of the opposite sex as a sergeant at arms and instructed the member to remove the other member and search that member in private. This type of instruction is demeaning to both members involved.

· Denied re-entry and stated that the member will not be permitted back until a meeting with that member and the members’ attorney is conducted with him.

· Stated to the membership that the member has recorded past meetings and have posted information from the meetings that have caused damage to contract negotiations.

· Performed these acts without supporting documentation, due process or proper investigation.

· Discredited a member in good standings and continues to receive union dues from that member.



The actions from ATU757 Union President Jonathan Hunt are very bold and have presented me with very little choice. The damage he has caused is unexplainable and cannot be left unanswered. I am not clear of the cost to myself or the membership for the actions. It is clear that someone does need to answer for this and at this time I will take all legal action necessary to assure that not just my rights are being protected but the civil rights of all my Brothers and Sisters. It is our membership dues that support the elected officers and there are appropriate ways to address issues with in our membership.

1 comment:

  1. Looks like we will be placed into Receivership by the National Union and they will my guess send out a VP for an Investigation. As I was not privy to all the pertinent documents I would think he should resign his position. or until the investigation he should be placed on Admin Leave. and the Sec/Treasurer take the Post and get this going. its very unfortunate when the lawsuit is paid should Mr. Day prevail the money he will receive will come from the Membership. and we are BROKE.

    ReplyDelete